Lorne Street Primary School
Opened as a school in 1892, this Victorian sandstone building in Govan on the south side of Glasgow is category B listed. It has an Italian palazzo style frontage.
The works on Lorne and St Brides (see below) schools were part of a five-year investment in Glasgow’s schools totalling £250 million – the 4Rs for Glasgow scheme.
We worked closely with our clients City Building Glasgow – which is one of the UK’s top 100 construction companies and Scotland’s largest employer of apprentices – to satisfy both Historic Scotland and planning requirements. There are 17 stages of approval for Historic Scotland for such projects. The wider project included roof repairs and cleaning of stonework as well as the demolishing and rebuilding of the chimney and janitor’s house.
This wasn’t Hall and Tawse’s first refurbishment project with City Building Glasgow; Lorne School is the eighth school we’ve supplied to including St Brides, Holycross, St Charles, Cuthbertson, Battlefield, Elmvale and Scotstoun primaries.
“The specialist expertise of Hall and Tawse was particularly useful on this project. The window design was complex and Historic Environment Scotland was very specific regarding the requirement to replicate the existing windows as far as was possible.
“At the same time there was an aspiration to make the building as sustainable as possible using, for example, double glazing. The expertise of the Hall and Tawse team especially around the window weights was very valuable in helping to comply with working at height regulations. They were able to advise of minor changes to the design which would help comply with health and safety legislation, Historic Environment Scotland requirements, and ease of installation.”